Monday, April 5, 2010

sick time?

This weekend was the first weekend that I was sick and had to look after Seth. I have been fortunate to have avoided the flu both time Seth has been ill, even when my husband was sick. I am also thankful that up until now I have been healthy. However, this weekend, this long weekend I caught a cold.

The "cold" came home via Seth. First week at daycare and I thought he would at least make it to week two before getting sick, however, he lasted three days before his nose started running. Thankfully, while he had a mild cough and a constantly dripping nose it seems to have passed quickly and with out much bother to him.

However, soon after he got sick my husband got sick. And as all "good wives" would tell you, nobody gets sick quite like our husbands. There are sooooo sick, and soooo miserable.
One day latter the cold caught up to me, or I caught it. Either way my throat was on fire, my head clogged and my nose tap was running full force. (Of course, my husband was much sicker than me, or as he put it, his "progressed more"?)

Colds are nothing new. Once or twice a year I catch one, what was new for me was having to look after a baby while trying to nurse my self back to good health. The challenge was that all I wanted to do was catch up on some rest. Seth doesn't sleep the night, and was bored watching mommy lay on the couch. As Derek was also sick neither of us had a partner to pick up some slack, we both had to keep Seth entertained and his daily routine moving no matter how much our heads hurt or our throats ached. To top it off Seth is teething his upper two teeth, so his mood hasn't been all that great and he is in a stage of serious mommy attachment. Meaning, I can't wash dishes without him screaming at my leg for attention.

So all in all this has been one tough couple of days. As I put Seth down to bed tonight I did have to laugh at myself and what my life as a mom has become. I would of loved for some r and r today and some time to mend, but than I wouldn't of had the moment to share with my son where I am feeding him his last bottle of the day and he is almost asleep whe I feel snot slowly drip out of my nose, down my upper lip across my bottom lip and onto my chin, and yet I don't dare move. Now that to me sums to all up when you are a sick mom. Not stopping to wipe your nose in case you disturb your sleeping baby.


P.s. tomorrow Seth is back to daycare, I have called in sick, and I am planning on laying on that couch all daylong.

No comments:

Post a Comment