Thursday, January 28, 2010

Only child?

Before my husband and I had Seth we had always discussed having two children. However, now that we have had Seth we are thinking more and more about being just a family of three. (Not excluding our fury children of course).
We aren't naive enough to leave out the posibilty that we might change our minds a few years from now, but for now we feel our family is complete.

What always fascinates me is the reaction I get from peoploe when I say that I don't plan on having any other children. When you proclaim that you are planing on raising an only child peoples faces go sour and they say things like, "really?", "oh you don't mean that", "why would you want to do that". Their reactions are always so strong and negative. No one is shy to tell me they don't like the idea of an "only" child. I have begun to call it the "only child stigma". What makes it even more interesting is that I am an only child. When I share that information I get one of two camps. The, "oh, I see" camp which is than embrassed and drops the subject entierly, or the "than why would you want to do that to Seth" camp. Which I never know whether to take personally as if there is something wrong with the way I turned out or they think I am cruel to deny my son a sibling.
I don't know why this subject seems to to incite such a reaction. What I do know is that our family will make the decision that is best for us, regardless of that look on your face.

1 comment:

  1. We're the same. I think it's lack of sleep (see my other comment!). I suspect that we'll change our minds in a year or so, but right now I feel our family is complete AND that I don't know if I can go through this level of sleep deprivation again.

    I hate when people act like it's some form of child abuse to not provide your baby with a sibling.

    ReplyDelete