Wednesday, August 5, 2009

She said... conception, all in an evenings work

Anyone who knows me knows I thrive on planning. So conceiving a child was no different. Derek and I had hoped to start a family a couple years into our marriage. But once you are married you find that everyone wants you to immediately conceive. It is as if people are uncomfortable seeing a happily married couple alone, without a kids standing in between them. If you aren't constantly being asked, "when are you going to have kids" it seems that many of your family and friends are starting their own families. In fact back in November 2007 I heard from three different people in my life that they were expecting all within the same week. Talk about pressure.

So...
We had hoped to start "trying" (as if we haven't been "trying for some years now. After 2 years of marriage and 8 years of dating we have had more than one test drive"), in the summer months of 2008. So dutifully and in my usual type A anal retentive style I started taking my folic acid in January 2008. Then I had my physical, spoke to our family doctor about planning for a baby, and I went off the pill for three months before we started, "trying". About this time I also stopped drinking alcohol. As soon as a girl my age stops drinking alcohol the rumor mill starts up. You may as well take out a billboard on Main street that states, "yes we are trying for a baby". We wanted to keep things quite though, in case we encountered set backs, or had a miscarriage. I had expected it to take about 3-6 months for us to conceive. However, after 3 months off the pill and once the condom came off it actually happened right away. (thank god for the pill for the past number of years).

When the fate full night actually occurred I don't remember. Once you decide you are going to "try" sex becomes about getting the job done. Just another check on the to do list. Women are encouraged to determine which days they are ovulating. So for a period of a couple days you will have sex whether you want to or not, for fear of missing your peak ovulation period. So you could be mad at your partner, want to watch your favorite soap or have plans to go to the movies with friends, you are going to "try" for that baby no matter what.

We were fortunate enough to conceive as quickly as we did and without any problems or setbacks and for that I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment