Wednesday, November 18, 2009

He Said...That's Right, He Said: What's Love got to do, got to do with it?

I think it's high time this blog got a little injection of testosterone....oh god, how sad is it that I actually thought about grunting Tim the Tool Man Taylor style....damn you 1990's DAMN YOU!!

Anyways, for months my better half has been reminding me that I have yet to really write anything in our "joint" blog. Those kindly reminders have recently turned into verbal lashings generally with the words "stupid jerk" added on to the end of some choice sentences.

"You said you were going to write this blog with me you stupid jerk!"

"I thought you loved me you stupid jerk"

"Write in the blog or I'm going to throw a ketchup bottle at you again you stupid jerk"
(notice how I felt the need to highlight again in that last one....we'll leave that story for another day)

So after all this time, here I am because I really do love my wife, more than she knows, and I love my son. I love our family. For those that don't know us too well, that includes our two fur babies as my wife calls them; Jack the dog and Kali the Cat. Hell, I even love my mean fish. I don't think my wife loves the fish as it ate her fish years ago. I think she secretly plots to feed my fish to the cat.

Wow, how off track do I get, now you know why I can't write very well. Like a dog...SQUIRREL!!!! hehe awful, I know.

Well, since this blog is actually supposed to be about parenting and my son, I've got a little story from last night that I thought I'd share that I think really illustrates just how well the little bundles of joy can wiggle their way into your heart.

Seth has been rather restless lately. Seems to be going to bed a lot earlier than normal and just rolling all over the crib like crazy. Our general routine at home is we alternate evenings putting the little guy to bed. Let's say Monday Kathleen gives Seth the bath and puts him own, Tuesday is my day, Wednesday is hers, etc.

So last night was my night. I get home from work, she gets home from the pool with Seth. We spend some time in the kitchen together getting dinner ready, checking email and stalkerbook (Facebook) with Seth having a grand time in his exersaucer. About 20 minutes later, beef stir fry is ready, plates on the table, mmm this looks good Kathleen....WHAAAAA WHAAAAA WHAAAAA. Go figure, we can't even have 5 minutes to eat dinner together, so I grab a bottle, get it ready start feeding, Kathleen finishes her dinner, we trade off, I finish mine. Now dinner is done and Kathleen says "hey do you want Dairy Queen?" I say not really, I'm trying to loose some weight. Then she does it...like a shot from a shotgun, the sad eyes and "oh.......ok" and there it is, the seed planted! She already knows she's won. So I say fine fine, what size do you want? Sad eyes again and "medium". All guys should know that sad eyes and the word medium is woman code for the Biggest Darn Blizzard one can buy.

So I go get her blizzard, and one for me of course, hit Blockbuster on the way home and rent Disney's UP (great movie by way.) Now, all of that giant description of our evening has just been an introduction to real event I'd like to talk about. I put the little guy to bed and he conks pretty quick. We watch our movie, Kat goes to bed and now it's time for Daddy's alone time! oh yeah 9 to 12 baby. Sometimes he wakes up, sometime he doesn't. If he does, feeding during these hours is all up to me. Last night he happened to get up around 11pm. It didn't bother me I was watching Half Baked at the time...absolutely nothing else on TV. So I get his bottle ready, go upstairs, Kathleen had gotten up as well and changed him for me. And I feed him. He finishes the bottle like he hasn't eaten in days and then proceeds to stare at me with those " I love you" eyes. Big, wide open, unblinking with a little smirk on the face that just melts you like butter.

Those are the moments I live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment